Tuesday, September 8, 2009

(1) The Deity of Jesus in the New Testament - Introduction

I remember back to when I was 23 years old. No, I really do. I went to my dad for approval to go to Bible college and become a pastor. At that age, you may not think I needed his permission, but since he was an unbeliever at the time, I wanted him to see respect and honor. My dad was a man of few words, so I really expected him just to say, “Sure, ok” with little else to say. His reply gave me a sinking feeling in my chest. “I always thought you could be a doctor or a lawyer, they make good money.” I realized he was complementing me and stating his desire for my welfare. After a “God, help me” prayer I said, “I believe God wants me to go to Bible College and become a pastor and I would like your approval.” His reply, “Well, pastors are making pretty good money these days. I guess that’s OK.” Boy was I relieved.

Actually, there was a time I would have liked the idea of being a doctor or lawyer. Especially a lawyer. I can even imagine myself in court now. I am arguing the most important case of my career. I present great evidence and clear witnesses I am confident have proved my case. Now, I have rested my case. Actually, I had more. I had other witnesses but I didn't need them. The case was clear. No one could doubt that the evidence proved my case.

Then the opposing attorney begins to present her case. She has a different interpretation of the evidence. She has her own witnesses and evidence. She begins to poke holes in my case. Questions and seeds of doubt arise in the jury. This case is far from settled.

It happens in the courtroom and it can happen in your livingroom or a coffee shop when you're trying to prove the deity of Jesus to a doubter. You need to be well prepared and not assume it will be easy or that they won't have some arguments of their own. We will deal with some of these objections along the way, but first, let's listen to some more witnesses and look at some more evidence for the deity of Jesus from scripture. We will begin with those who knew Jesus personally.

Next:  (2) The Witness of A Doubter & A Denier

No comments:

About Me

My photo
God is not a part of my life, God is my life! My passion is to know God to the fullest . . . to think His thoughts after Him . . . my heart beating with His heart. All for His glory and worship!